Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Flogging a Dead House..

This blog post forms the 1st of a two-part bumper-blog, which came to be out of an unfortunate accident with a mixed metaphor. They may not even be related. Here goes..

I was standing in the queue at the Spar the other day, when I suddenly realised that I really like House music. This is a bit of an admission, because I know a lot of my friends will now be rolling up their noses and sniffing in their sleeves with contempt for such a statement. But the fact remains. I like it.

As I am venturing out into the uncharted depths of honesty, I think a justification is in order. At the time of this realisation I questioned my motives for enjoying the 'doof-doof's and the 'rikki-tikki-tees' etc. The conclusion I arrived at startled me with it's simplicity. Lazerquest!

If you have never experienced the joys of running around in a badly lit room, covered from skull to shin in sweat, hazed in synthetic smoke and generally shooting people in the face with lazers, then you probably haven't lived. Or at least you haven't played Lazerquest. It was an absolute pinnacle of entertainment for me and my friends from the age of 14 to 21, and dare I say beyond. But the key issue in this story is that whilst one is playing Lazerquest (or should I say 'living' Lazerquest) one is being blasted with the most violent, the most barbaric, the most incredibly loud house music known to man.

Back then I didn't get it. The music was secondary to pointing a big gun at someone and getting their suit to make the "deedle-deedle-deedle-dooo-dooo-dooo-doobadup!" sound. What I didn't realise is that the Lazerquest staff were cunningly imprinting this music into my brain so that when, 8-or-so years later, I heard it again, it suddenly made me feel like I was about to storm the barrels and take over the luminous corrugated fort! I.e. I felt like I was at peace.

I don't know if you like House music, and it certainly is an acquired taste. It is no crime to crank up the volume and have more bass than a hearty American fishing holiday. But if you don't like House music, please don't immediately judge someone for listening to it and enjoying it. Because if you do, we will collectively own you with freakin' lazers..

Toodle-pip,
andrewiconkerr

No comments: