Saturday, October 27, 2007

Avast! Piracy..

So I was pondering the other day about CD piracy and how no young people, or any people for that matter, are buying CD's any more. Ok, that was an enormous generalization, but stick with it. One of the main reasons that this is happening is that people don't see copying music as stealing. They just see it as "copying". Well, I've got news for you (and me), it's just as bad as stealing a CD from a shop. "Copying" = Theft. Suck on that.

The other reason that I have concluded upon, is that CDs are so bloody expensive! I mean, R150 for 12 songs! What a rip-off. So here we are stuck in the middle ground of not wanting to get cheated out of hard-earned cash (or in my case: just cash), but also not wanting to deprive these hard-working musicians from a living, whether we think they're earning masses of moola or not.

Hmmm. Tough call I say. BUT, I have a solution, and it is this:
If the record companies and bands would join forces and collectively suggest that they would drastically cut CD prices, whilst at the same time informing the public that they are doing this so that people will be encouraged to buy the CDs and support the bands, instead of copying the music, hopefully people would respond positively and start purchasing rather than plundering.

This of course will never EVER be put into action, because no bands in their right minds would want to lose money to gain sales. Go figure.

Oh well,
Toodle-pip
andrewthekerr

2 comments:

Skilputt said...

Hmmm... yes. I don't know ANYONE who does not have any form of pirated software, music or movies. (I don't have any myself of course)

But yes, you're right, it is bad. That is why I encourage people to buy the CDs of smaller artists, and that is why big (popular) artists have to sell their publicity, merchandise and extra stuff to be as lucrative as they would have been before someone thought of the MP3 format and the clever idea of selling CD drives that could write onto CDs to the general public...

Piracy... we hate to love it...

andrewthekerr said...

Most true, my knowledgeable friend. Maybe that is actually a better solution. Rather than pressing the bigger bands to do things, which to be perfectly honest they couldn't care less about, we make allowances and leeways and loopholes for small bands to make it slightly easier.

Of course, not being a big music tycoon, and being but humble bloggers, the amount of say we have is about the same as the amount of money "Billy & the Toothsome Lads" made on their last album: "The Time I Went To The Shop, And There Was No Milk". Heard of them? No, didn't think so =)

Thanks for the post. Muchos appreciation!

Toodle-pip
andrewthekerr